Saturday, August 7, 2010

Charis Hills

For the first time in his little 8 year old life, Tatum attended summer camp.  It was designed to be Christ-centered to serve children who otherwise, would not have a chance to be in an environment where they are understood.  He loved it! and it loved him back...okay, I know that I get all sappy when it comes to Tatum...but seriously...this made me cry...let me count the ways...
  #1 His cabin counselor was there because his life goal is to work with children with special needs.  His sister worked the summer before.  In fact all the counselors were there for that same reason.

#2  The directors and founders of the camp are retired educators whose passion is affording opportunities to kids with special needs...to show Gd's love...and they fell in love with Tatum (she cried when she had to say goodbye to him)


#3  The camp cultivated such a spirit of partnership that the other campers willingly and without being asked went out of their way to help each other...

#4  Tatum was expected to take care of all his own hygiene needs for a week (we had many frustrating tutoring sessions at home) and so became more independent...



#5 "...where everyboooody knows your naaaame....and they're always glad you caaaame...we wanna go where people know, your troubles are all the same...we wanna go where everybody knoooowwwws  your name..."



#6 ownership in something that is cool and an experience that is yours alone (it doesn't hurt that brother and sister REALLY want to come to camp here but aren't allowed)...all centered around the One who had this all planned out from the beginning.  I can imagine Gd rubbing his hands together, almost giddy with excitement to give us the next blessing he has in store.  I've always said, I know Gd loves me but he is CRAZY about Tatum.

No comments: